Monday, August 22, 2011

20 Minutes to Dinner

I've been trying lots of new recipes lately all thanks to Pinterest. Tonight I actually remembered to take pictures so I could share with you. The recipe I found was called "Panko-Crusted Salmon". 
Salmon & "Burnt" Green Beans

If you've ever cooked with me or asked me for a recipe you know you get a "add a little of this and a little of that" response. I am a "dump cooker". I know how to measure, but I don't like to take the time to do it-plus it just makes more dirty dishes! I use what we have on had whenever possible and improvise when needed. I am going to share with you how I made this recipe plus you can click here for the original recipe that I worked from.

Salmon:
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2 T dried parsley
1/2 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
3-4 T evoo
4 salmon fillets, skin on
4 T Dijon Mustard

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley, salt, & pepper. Add half the evoo and mix until all ingredients are coated.  Place your fillets skin side down on your work surface. EVENLY coat the flesh of each fillet with a thin layer of dijon mustard. (I think 4Tbs was probably too much) Season each one with a little more salt & pepper. Press the bread crumb mixture on each fillet. The mustard will allow it to stick. Heat the remaining evoo in a skillet. Once oil is hot add the fillets skin side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven for 5-7 minutes.

If you look at the original recipe you will notice a few changes, we did not have PANKO, lemon zest, or fresh parsley. I also did not tent my fillets once I removed them from the oven. I do think I had a little too much dijion-as I did not measure it and a couple bites were a little over powering.

My kids are not salmon fans...and this recipe did not change their minds. It was nice for my husband and I though, better than plain old baked salmon.

**Bonus recipe**
I also made as my daughter calls them "burnt green beans". :) She calls them that because some of them get quite dark while cooking-but taste just as delicious, if not better than the green ones. And NO they do not taste burnt. The first time I made them both kids refused to eat them because they were "burnt", of course the nice mommy that I am-I made them try them. Now I bet they ask at least once a week for "burnt green beans".

"Burnt" Green Beans
1lb fresh or frozen green beans
2-3 slices of uncooked bacon
salt
pepper
1/4 cup water (if using fresh green beans)

Cut bacon into bit size pieces and put in a skillet and add your green beans salt & pepper to taste. Cook until bacon is fully cooked and beans are to your preferred doneness. Be sure to stir frequently. If you are using FRESH green beans, you will want to add a little bit of water. Once the bacon starts cooking down the grease from it should be enough to keep your beans from sticking. Since green beans can be eaten raw, there is not right or wrong time here. I usually cook min about 20 minutes...sometimes longer. 

I do have to add that I HATE soggy bacon, your bacon should be crispy with this recipe. I have read and tried many recipes with bacon and beans and usually I don't like them, because the bacon is soggy.
I'd love to hear what you think, if you try one or both of these dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment