Friday, August 19, 2011

Dirty Hands

My father was a mechanic. I remember growing up and smelling oil, diesel fuel, and of course orange hand cleaner a lot. YUCK. He's not a dirty man, he always cleaned up when he was done, but man did he always seem to get dirty! lol
I did not marry a mechanic, and most days my husband does not come home dirty or smelly. There are days though, when he does come home reeking of diesel fuel because it spilled when he was fueling his semi or with dirty hands because he had to climb on or under his truck for one reason or another. I can't say I love the smell or the look, but some days it reminds me of when I was a little girl. I love the quick little reminder-but then I want him to go clean up right away just like my dad! :)
Today my 10 year old son went out and helped my husband change the tires on his pickup truck. He seemed pretty happy when he was done that he got to help-even though he whined about having to help in the beginning. 
When he came in I looked at him and just smiled. His hands were dirty, just like my dads! I don't see my dad as much as I would like these days, and he doesn't really work on cars like he used to, so these simple reminders are infrequent but nice.


It's funny the little things -even the gross things like dirty smelly hands- that can snap you right back to times in your past. What things remind you of good times?


1 comment:

  1. Yep! Just like my one post says! Smells are directly linked to memories. Love it!!:)

    ReplyDelete